551 325 01
Introduction to the PD 664 P-NET GPRS Interface
A wireless P-NET solution
The purpose of the PD 664 P-NET GPRS Interface is to provide a wireless P-NET communication link to remote stations by using the Internet and the public GPRS mobile phone network. Such communication can be between one or a number of PCs, and one or more remote stations. Communication between remote stations is also possible and all communication is done via a P-NET Gateway Service. Each remote station, which may be stationary or mobile, must have a PD 664 and one or more other P-NET devices.
Using its built-in triple-band mobile phone, each PD 664 can establish a permanent point-to-point connection to a specifically identified P-NET Gateway Service. Via this connection, P-NET communication takes place between the remote stations and PCs connected to that service.
In the System overview above, the blue lines indicate the point-to-point connections between the Remote Stations and the P-NET Gateway Service. As illustrated, these connections run via the Internet and the GSM mobile phone network, through which GPRS operates. Communication through each point-to-point connection is encrypted.
The yellow lines indicate the communication paths between PCs connected to Internet and the P-NET Gateway Service. Security and data integrity is ensured by the use of UDPSec.
· There is no need to install communication cables or any other special equipment to establish communication, saving cost substantially.
· There is no need for a GPRS modem or similar equipment to enable PCs to communicate with the remote stations.
· The PD 664 provides a system that is ”Always ON”. It is highly suitable for remote data monitoring, remote control, data acquisition, and for update of application software and firmware, etc.
· With the use of VIGO, is it possible to communicate with a large number of sites simultaneous without any delay.
· Easy installation and maintenance, due to the fact that all configuration is stored on the SIM Card.
· When using GPRS, no charge is made for the time connected, only for the amount of data that is sent and received.
· The PD 664 is able to send and receive SMS messages to or from mobile phones, or web based services.
· Remote data monitor, remote control and data acquisition.
· Automatic meter reading, tank management etc.
· Remote diagnostics and maintenance.
· Milk collection trucks, fleet management etc.
· Retail shop automation, alarm systems.
· Water supply pump stations / wastewater pump stations
A system consists of the following components:
· The only P-NET GPRS Gateway that a specific PD 664 interface will be permitted to connect with, will be that gateway which has been pre-defined and identified by URL or IP address within the module’s SIM card.
· All data communication between the PD 664 P-NET GPRS Interface and the P-NET Gateway Service is encrypted.
· Security and data integrity between the PCs and the P-NET Gateway Service is ensured by using UDPSec.
· A PD 664 module can send SMS messages in the event that it cannot connect to the P-NET Gateway Service.
· The module has a built-in watchdog function, which can send an SMS message if there has been no communication with the local master within a specified time period.